As much as I would like to wait til I’m 65 to retire and do what I want, -and hopefully have the money, time and health- I prefer to do that now.
So, I quitted my job, sold my furniture, and donated a lot of stuff. The remaining stuff, the things that I really think I’ll be using when I get back are going to a friends basement.
I’m often asked what triggered you to do such a crazy thing.
There is no right sorting in the list, but basically:
– Shantaram. By Gregory David Roberts
– The 4 hour working week. By Tim Ferriss
– Money and the Law of Attraction. By Esther and Jerry Hicks
– Career break required
– Having no girlfriend, wife or kids
– A really strong will of traveling without airports, the need to smile to a receptionist nor having to remember my room number or figuring out how to turn on the 20 lights in the room.
2012 was a year of races. I loved doing triathlons an other stuff where you have a defined target, train twice a day, get very excited and nervous, perform, be satisfied with the results, look for the next event, and repeat… That habit is addictive and I’m not against it. I just wanted to spend more time on my bike with no specific program and why not getting to know new places, food, languages, people, etc.
But none of this would happen if I had not met my crazy cycling friends who have done something similar or if I didn’t have the support from family and friends.
Be warned that my writing wont be very polished as I will be doing that from my phone after riding some long hours :)